May your conversations with God about the missions of Sabbath School continue to spiral upward! You’ll also want to keep the prayerways hot with related needs, such as members who never attend Sabbath School. So let’s look over the pizzazz of prayer.
Ten Out-of-the-Box Ways to Jump-start Prayer for Missionaries [and Others]
- Leave your air conditioner [or heater] off for a day, a week, or a month. As you lie in bed sweating [freezing], take time to pray for your missionaries.
- Make Tuesdays and Thursdays your rice days. Eat only rice for every meal. After several months, you will pray more fervently for your missionaries—and yourself!
- Kneel and pray within five minutes of reading a missionary letter, an e-mail, or a magazine article.
- As you pray for your food to be blessed, pray for your missionaries to be blessed, too. To add variety to your prayers choose to pray for an aspect of their lives that begins with the same letter as your main course.
- Take a 30-minute walk each week and pray for your missionaries while you walk.
- Go to church without shoes one Sabbath a month. Every time someone asks you where your shoes are, tell them about your missionaries. Then pause to pray with the inquirer for missionaries.
- Write your missionaries’ names on the top of your day planner or on your calendar at the beginning of each week.
- Cut out your missionaries’ pictures and use them as Bible markers for your daily study.
- Put a copy of Adventist Frontier Mission in your pillowcase. The crinkling sound will remind you to pray.
- Put your missionaries’ pictures on your refrigerator. Don’t open the refrigerator until you have prayed about some aspect of their lives (safety, family, spiritual life, etc.)
Top 10 Rewards of Faithful Prayer for Missionaries [and Others]
And, likewise, the rewards of faithful prayer are the fruit of equal sweetness when applied to missing Sabbath School members:
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will have special language and cultural comprehension.
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will have ability to mentor and disciple local leaders.
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will build strong and strategic friendships in their communities.
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will see clear pathways for communicating truth cross-culturally.
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will have personal revival, daily strength, and staying power.
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will gain victories against “principalities and powers of this dark world.”
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will have a greater desire to pray.
- As a result of your faithful prayers, your missionaries will stay alive and healthy.
your missionaries will participate in life-changing conversations.
- As a result of your faithful prayers, people—real people—will gain eternal life!
© 2014 General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists